September 9, 2017

On July 29, 2017, The Erwins were involved in a bus crash, which totaled the bus. The following information is from Dennis:

"First, I want to assure you that we are all safe and healthy after experiencing a very dangerous and potentially deadly wreck in our bus.  The accident was caused by a sudden blowout to the front passenger tire.  I was driving on the morning of July 29, at 5:30 a.m. on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis. Keith, Kody, and my nephew Ethan were with me as we were on our way to meet Kris and Katie at the Indianapolis airport later that day. We were headed to Michigan for 3 services on Saturday night and Sunday.  The rest of the family stayed home because it was a short trip.  

Just after midnight, I had a barely 2-year-old tire separate, and I called a tire service and requested they come to bring a replacement tire.  The service man came without a tire and told me he would just put the spare on.  I was concerned because I knew the tire had never been touched in the 10 years that I owned the bus.  He looked at the spare and said that the tire would be fine until we got home.  I'm a preacher, he's a tire professional, so I drove off. Less than 100 miles later, while driving 70 miles per hour on the interstate, the tire literally exploded. I instantly lost control of the bus, and the vibration was bone jarring.  The bus struck the guard rail 3 times, went down a 20 foot hill off the interstate, and crashed through a line of trees before coming to a stop over 70 yards off the interstate. A big rig driver heard and saw us hit the guard rail, stopped to check on us, and through the darkness couldn't see that the bus had gone down the hill and through the trees.  When he called the 911 operator, he told her that he thought we were all dead. THE LORD TOTALLY CONTROLLED THE BUS AND KEPT US SAFE THROUGH IT ALL!  

The State Trooper told me 2 things I will never forget. First he said that he had never seen anyone walk away from this kind of wreck, and that most people rode to the hospital or the morgue. The second thing he said was that God took me out of control so He could control it.  That bus should have rolled several times.  Just to help you understand the miracle, the wrecker service brought a bobcat tractor to clear a path through the trees. As the wrecker was pulling the bus out, we all realized there was less than 3 feet of clearance on each side of the bus as it went right between 2 huge trees. Had the bus hit one of those trees, I would not be telling you this right now. The bus is a total loss, but we are all ok.  I know you pray for us so often, and I promise you that God has answered your prayers for us."


The Erwins